Wednesday, October 27

Yay for Progress!

ANDREW got PLOT DEVICE!
In my brainstorming session (read: random thoughts throughout the day) I realized how I can structure the story. I mentioned the story has Yggdrasil, right? Well, in a sense, Yggdrasil is going to be the "antagonist". Really, it's got two problems: 1) It's kind of falling apart, and 2) it has a defense system to prevent being attacked. You know, the whole Gotterdammerung thing. So when the good guys try to fix the problem, the tree will try to stop them; not because what they're doing is wrong, but because it perceives them as a threat to its existence. So, essentially, they have to fight the Yggdrasil. That's pretty epic, is it not?
I've also got a way to pad the story a little. You see, in a nutshell, Elseworld was once a part of Earth, but it drifted off into a parallel dimension (part of that Yggdrasil thing). If the heroes can't find a way to heal the Yggdrasil, the entire planet will disintegrate into all these different dimensions, some of which are less-than-healthy. So, if I need a few more words, I can just add another island. Trustmethisisagreatplan!
I REALLY hope this story will work. I don't think it's going to be the next Lord of the Rings, but I think I can make it to 50K. It all depends on how well I can flesh out the plot. There's a lot of the story where I just don't see anything happening. Actually, now that I think about it, it might be kind of Dune-like, in that it will detail one character's development from mild-mannered genius to the savior of the human race. That makes sense, right? Hopefully ideas will just spring up.
Oh, here's some way you can help. I want to introduce a seed from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. I have a method right now, but it's a little late in the story. I don't think the Elseworlders have it, and I would be hesitant to say that anyone on Earth has it. Right now it's in Eden itself, but again, it's a little late for my tastes. I kind of want the characters tempted to use it time and again, and that requires a little more setup. If you've got any ideas, send them my way. I might find a way to incorporate them into the plot. Who knows?
Welp, that's about all I've got to say this time. November 1st is comin' up quick. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment